Once you receive approval of your asylum application or you are admitted to the United States as a refugee, the next step is applying for lawful permanent residence (LPR). You can start this application process right away. Previously, an asylee or refugee had to wait one year following the grant of asylum or admission as a refugee before starting the application process.


Regardless of when you apply, the earliest you can receive a Green Card, or become a lawful permanent resident, is after you have been physically present in the US for one full year since the date you were granted asylum or admitted as a refugee. Every person in the family, including children, must submit an application for adjustment of status. Certain conditions can make you ineligible for Lawful Permanent Resident status, such as convictions for certain crimes or making false statements to the US government. For this reason, it is best to consult with an attorney or Department of Justice (DOJ)-accredited legal representative before applying for adjustment to LPR status. 

Finally, if you have refugee status, there is no United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) application fee for the adjustment of status application, however, asylees must either pay an application fee or qualify for a fee waiver from USCIS.


To apply for a Green Card, you must file Form I-485 - Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjustment of Status. For information about becoming a lawful permanent resident (Green Card Holder) through asylee or refugee status, please visit: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/explore-my-options/become-a-lawful-permanent-resident-green-card-holder-through-asylee-status