On June 8, 2023, the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) announced a streamlined process for Afghans paroled into the US through Operation Allies Rescue/Operation Allies Welcome (OAR/OAW) to apply for re-parole and renewal of work authorization. See below for more information about this process.


Who should apply for re-parole?

Any Afghan who received humanitarian parole (category OAR/OAW or PAR on the I-94) after being relocated out of Afghanistan following the fall of the former Afghan government in July 2021, and who has not applied for asylum or adjustment to lawful permanent resident (LPR) status in the US, should apply for re-parole before their current period of parole expires. If approved for re-parole, their I-94 will be updated to show an additional 2-year period of parole.


How do I apply for re-parole?

Applicants for re-parole can apply on-line or by mail by completing form I-131 Application for Travel Document. There is no fee to apply for re-parole. See detailed instructions for completing form I-131 on the USCIS website at https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/information-for-afghan-nationals/re-parole-process-for-certain-afghans

  • To apply on-line, each applicant, including children, must have their own myUSCIS account that is linked to a unique email address. 
  • To file by mail, applicants should fill out Form I-131 and write “RE-PAROLE” at the top of the form. Applicants filing by mail should be sure to use the 06/06/23 version of Form I-131.


Will USCIS also provide a new Employment Authorization Document (EAD) when they approve my application for re-parole?

Upon approval of re-parole, applicants will also receive a renewal of work authorization. There is no need to file a separate Form I-765 to request a new EAD. In order to receive an updated EAD card to prove on-going work authorization, applicants for re-parole MUST check the box on the I-131 (the on-line or paper form) asking for an EAD, and write “OAW EAD” at the top of the paper I-131 form if filing by mail. 


What about parolees who have applied for asylum or LPR status?

Afghan parolees who have filed an asylum application (Form I-589) or application for adjustment to LPR status (Form I-485) do not need to apply for re-parole (note: this also applies to the unmarried children under 21 and spouses of those who have applied for asylum, if they are included in the principal’s application). USCIS will, on a case-by-case basis, consider automatically extending their parole and parole-based employment authorization for an additional two years. Upon extension of parole, their I-94 will be automatically updated and they will receive a notice on Form I-797C extending their parole and work authorization. Form I-797C may be used to prove work authorization for the duration of their extended parole period. If they want a facially valid Employment Authorization Document, they may apply for one using Form I-765. A new EAD is not necessary, however, to prove that they are authorized to work.


What if I applied for Temporary Protected Status (TPS)?

Afghan parolees who have applied for TPS and have not also applied for asylum or LPR status will not automatically be considered for parole extension but must apply for re-parole.


Can I continue to receive benefits after my parole expires?

Afghan parolees whose parole expires and who have not been granted re-parole or extension of parole will no longer be eligible for government benefits. Those whose parole is extended or renewed will remain eligible for benefits.