If you are a U.S. citizen, your spouse, unmarried children under 21, and parents may be eligible to immigrate from Afghanistan to the United States immediately. U.S. citizens may also petition for their siblings and married and unmarried adult children over 21, but these immigrant categories are subject to annual quotas, so visas may not be available for several years. Start the process by filing  Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If USCIS approves the petition, the National Visa Center (NVC) will contact your family members to apply for their immigrant visas. The NVC will also request additional documentation from you to demonstrate your relatives’ eligibility for an immigrant visa, including Form I-864 Affidavit of Support  to show you are able to financially support them after they arrive in the U.S.


IMPORTANT: The family reunification process can be complicated as can the documentary requirements to prove qualifying relationships, so you may want to consult with a qualified legal service provider to help determine if your relatives are eligible to join you in the U.S., and/or to assist you with the process. 


IMPORTANT: You should NOT travel to Afghanistan to accompany your family members. You are not required to be in Afghanistan for the U.S. Government to help your family members depart Afghanistan.  The U.S. Government will not help your family members depart more quickly if you are in Afghanistan.


For information on family reunification with other immigration statuses, visit these Settle In Help Center links:

Lawful Permanent Residents and Afghan Family Reunification


Lawful Permanent Residents Through Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) Program and Afghan Family Reunification


Refugees and Asylees and Afghan Family Reunification


Parolees and Afghan Family Reunification