If you hold refugee status or asylee status, and you included your spouse and children on your application for refugee or asylum status, your spouse and your unmarried children under the age of 21 may be eligible to join you in the United States. If your spouse or unmarried children under 21 are currently in the U.S. with parole or Temporary Protected Status (TPS), and you are admitted as a refugee, you may be able to petition for them to receive refugee status based on their relationship to you. Begin the application process for your family members by filing a Form I-730 Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 


If you were admitted to the United States as a refugee more than two years ago or were granted asylum more than two years ago, you will need to request a waiver of the two-year filing deadline in Part 3 of Form I-730 and explain why you could not file before the two years. 

If USCIS approves the petition, the Department of State or USCIS will contact your family members to continue their application for their “follow-to-join” refugee or asylee status. 


IMPORTANT: The family reunification process can be complicated as can the documentary requirements to prove qualifying relationships, so you may want to consult with a qualified legal service provider to help determine if your relatives are eligible to join you in the U.S., and/or to assist you with the process. 


IMPORTANT: You should NOT travel to Afghanistan to accompany your family members. You are not required to be in Afghanistan for the U.S. Government to help your family members depart Afghanistan.  The U.S. Government will not help your family members depart more quickly if you are in Afghanistan.


For information on family reunification with other immigration statuses, visit these Settle In Help Center links:


U.S. Citizens and Afghan Family Reunification


Lawful Permanent Residents and Afghan Family Reunification


Lawful Permanent Residents Through Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) Program and Afghan Family Reunification


Parolees and Afghan Family Reunification